Friday, July 20, 2012

Whatchu talkin bout Willis?

My job is bi-polar.

Almost every aspect is so out of my element that I am constantly thinking
 "well, this was fun...but I am sure I will be told it is my last day"

On the other hand, my God-given "natural" gifts of being organized, an educator, and behaviorist, are used daily and I am constantly telling my family
"I love my job!"

SOOOOOO
when I was asked to get a Personal Fitness Trainer Certification, my response was
WHATCHU TALKIN BOUT?

I have struggled with my weight since I had Jack! 15 years! 
I have lost and found the same 40 pounds that I am sporting right now!
I don't LIVE to exercise! I occasionally exercise to live!

After I calmed down, I thought about the reason I needed the certification.  I would not be leading exercise classes or teaching nutrition.  I would be helping our clients perform their jobs without causing injury to their body.

YES! I can do that! I have several years of experience with physical and occupational therapy with my students! I LOVE that aspect!

I was Pre-Med to be an Occupational Therapist until my college guide suggested that I change my major, after my 3rd try at Pre-Med Biology......

Thinking that the class would be an unbearable "Jane Fonda" program,
I searched high and low for my leg warmers.


I started studying....

The book was 465 pages of anatomy, kinesiology, physiology....
College stress flooded over me.

I grabbed a coke and a bag of chips and started studying the health and fitness...


I had to fill out a 55 page workbook and developed a blister/callous.
This was going to be the worst 3 day class of my life!
MY FINGER IS NOT EVEN IN SHAPE!!


On the first day of class, I felt the character I would be in this group of fitness nuts:
does everyone remember "fat guy in a little coat"?

They were all aliens! They eat, sleep and breathe exercise!
How can you coach/train an individual that struggles with weight/eating when you don't understand what they are going through!!

I started to realize this was the job for me!

By the second day, I realized I was the one with the best self-body image!!
These 80 pound girls were whining about their butts.

I did feel sorry for them. 
I could not imagine going through life without a butt!
Then I realized they thought they had too much butt!!

SERIOUSLY?  I was looking at these girls. No boobs, no butt!
They were all elbows, ribs and clavicles! OUCH! 
I was nervous the whole time that when they did an exercise, their bones would rip through their skin......



I am not against HEALTHY exercise and eating

BUT as they shared their issues (they don't think they have issues, but fat people do), I began to feel better!

I felt the overwhelming urge to hug them and bring them Quarter Pounder Meals....
but I did not think that would go over very well...

My 2 part test is today.
I will get the results in 4 weeks.

I will let you know which McDonald's to come party!
Don't worry, I will park in the farthest parking space to get my steps in for the day!



1 comment:

  1. yikes! about that finger......and I will celebrate with you with a quarter pounder......awesome report!! ( YOu need to write that book !)

    ReplyDelete