Thursday, January 13, 2011

An adventure ends..........

 I recently posted about sitting with Jeff's grandmother while she was in the hospital......

We got a call while Max was in surgery this Wednesday. Mama Jean would not be with us much longer. She passed away before Max's surgery was over. We had just seen her at Christmas time and she did not even recognize us. She wasn't able to speak to us or even keep her eyes open for more than a few seconds. This surprisingly upset me. Mama Jean was like a grandmother to me! I was surprised at my reaction to seeing this strong, outspoken woman in this weak state. I had to leave the room. I cried uncontrollably. 

I have known Mama Jean for about 19 years. She had her moments. I was always on pins and needles when out in public with her. She had loud opinions about strangers and she would blurt it out for everyone to hear. BUT she would be talking to me as if I agreed!! 

Mama Jean played basketball for her school, she played tennis well into her 60s, she loved Tiger basketball, college football, pro basketball, she did not like silly movies but loved action movies!! She taught Jeff how to cuss....always denied it but always brought up the "cuss word story". 
She had a crazy sense of humor!

 I had some fun times with her!! She was sarcastic and stubborn...........hmmmmmm......a lot like me!! She would pick on me and I would pick right back! I was not afraid to tell her what I thought about her opinions!! I confronted her on several things she would blurt out. That was met with "ignoring" but later an evil grin!! I knew she liked me because she would tell me! AND I am POSITIVE that she would have told me if she did NOT like me. Everyone in hearing distance knew what or who she liked and didn't like!! She adored my two boys and they were very close to her.
I have "walked" with her at many family adventures because she "acted" like she could not keep up.....but turn your back..... and she could quickly be somewhere she should not be!!
Early in our dating years (Jeff and I), I roomed with MJ at some family adventures.......I got the scoop on the family!
I did not like her dog and she used to torture me by telling me she was going to give me the dog when she died. That dog passed years ago.........WHEW!!!

When Jeff's youngest brother got married, Mama Jean and I showed up to the wedding with the same skirt!!! We giggled, talked with our eyes and mouthed words during the ceremony, like little kids. We did that on many family adventures.

After seeing her at Christmas, I began to pray that the Lord would take her soon. She was a strong, fighting woman and was miserable with her latest medical issues. She even said she was "done". She was ready to go!

Our family times will definitely be different with her gone.

She did things that would irritate me and even make me mad but I can honestly say.....I enjoyed her, I loved her......I will miss her!


P.S. I just went to the obituary online to see how to spell her maiden name.........it says "the family respects her wishes by not mentioning the date of her birth". This makes me laugh out loud!! She never wanted anyone to know her age. BUT I KNOW because she showed me her gun permit one day (yes! she carried a gun!) and it had her birth year! I am glad I looked at the obituary because I had to delete her birthday off my post!! HAHAHAHAHAHA.....she makes me laugh!!


Jean Thompson Cloar
born (she took it to the grave!)
died  January 12, 2011



6 comments:

  1. She would love this, Margaret.....best obituary! I too, will miss this special woman. My condolences to you,Jeff, Max and Jack....Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for your loss...Amie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret, you should read this at her funeral. She was a unique person and adored Jeff, you and the boys.She is already being missed by those of us who met or knew her. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret, Please accept our condolences. We know how much you and Jeff and the boys loved Mama Jean and you will miss her every day. I agree that you should read this at her funeral, she will enjoy it!
    Aunt Delores

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Margaret, for such a great tribute to such a great lady. I loved her, too, and saw her more than my own grandmothers. It won't be the same without her, but I also am glad she's out of pain and that we will see her in Heaven.
    Julie Z.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joel and I visited her in the hospital a couple of months ago and thoroughly enjoyed her. She had us laughing from the time we got there until we left. I can see why you had so much fun with her and love for her.

    ReplyDelete