Tuesday, January 25, 2011

There is a reason I stay home.....

Setting:
*at church around 11am
*3 bags of books (boys doing school work)
*crazy hair (as usual) because of rainy day
*in a hurry, frazzled, weighed down with heavy bags, short (not able to see anything in front of me)
*unknowingly chomping gum (because that is what I do when I am.....well have gum in my mouth)

Classic MAZ:
The boys and I were leaving the church. All Members of the  Memphis Leadership Luncheon were arriving. The boys and I were quite small compared to all the tall men in their navy suits.
All the Memphis Leadership people were crowded in the hall and we could not cut through them to get to the door to our parking lot.

Me:
Viewing the sea of tall, well dressed men, I made a quick decision that I was not about to walk around the church in the pouring rain. I tried to politely move through the crowd but they did not seem to hear or see me. The heat of being bundled up for the outside, the weight of the books and the frustration of not being able to move forward.......I involuntarily yelled out in a sassy voice "EEEXCUSE ME!"

The tall man stepped out of the way and cut his eyes at me. I am sure I had an "annoyed" face as I looked at him. As I passed, in those seconds, I realized I had just yelled at my preacher, Sandy Willson.

Embarrassed by this, I pushed on through the crowd......trying to flee EVEN QUICKER!!

more tall men.....more ignoring......frustration mounting...

I got to the door, struggled to open it....I was staring face to face at several men....

Not learning a lesson from the few seconds before, I said.....sarcastically....."come on in" and I held the door open wide (trying not to drop my heavy bags of books).

I looked right into the eyes of Mark Luttrell, the mayor of Shelby County. His entourage looked slightly amused. They waited for Mr. Luttrell to pass through the door that I was holding and then they took the door and said "after you" and let me leave the building.

I got in my car, looked at the jackass in the mirrior and caught myself chomping my gum!!
OH NO! This is what the Leaders Of Memphis saw as they were about to eat a special luncheon at my church:


I might as well be the POSTER for what they were about to discuss and pray for!!!

4 comments:

  1. ROFL!!! This made me laugh out loud!!!

    You GO girl!!

    ::snicker::

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have got to start keeping all of your blogs and write a book someday. You make me laugh out loud and sometimes you make me cry. Both are good for my soul. Keep on blogging. I love you.
    Aunt Delores

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a reason I love you!!
    Ep

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as the "tone" of voice was right .....maybe they didn't notice your FACE! YIKES!! I agree with Delores, you would make a great mistake if you do not publish someday!! Momma ...and a P.S. > Anyone who has Migraines or even Stress Headaches gets it! luvu!

    ReplyDelete