Thursday, April 21, 2011

Your heart.....is it exposed?


Tonight, in one innocent....simple and actually....humorous....moment....my heart was exposed...

Thanks to two cute twin 5 yr old boys that sat behind me at our communion service, I realized.....YET AGAIN...ANOTHER...condition of my heart...

The mother told me before the service (apologetically) that this service would be a "first" for her sons. Their bedtime is 7pm. The service was beginning at 6:30. I looked at the 2 blond boys. They looked sleepy but antsy. I smiled and told her it was my bedtime too....she said a few more things that made me think she was nervous. I gestured to my sons and said I understood....then I added that I would ignore her sons behavior....and smiled. She laughed....but still looked nervous.

I wondered if this really was going to be a long service.....did she know me and know that I expect so much from kids???.......or were her kids really "out of control" all the time and this is just her normal routine for new and unsuspecting people???

The service went on and the boys were fine. I don't know her but I compliment her!!

Then it was time for communion. The plates with the cups were being passed. As my row was taking and passing ours, I could hear the twin boys whispering behind me. I could not see them but I could imagine their behavior as I heard their words.

"careful.......careful......carefully....." I imagined them trying to help pass the heavy tray full of communion juice. Their voices were hushed and reverent. It was as if they were passing the most expensive and precious item on earth!

Then I heard the boy that was right behind me gasp and loudly whisper "oh man! I REALLY want one of those!"

I glanced out of the corner of my eye and his mother had just taken the plate from his father and passed it on to the people down the row. I imagined the boy wide-eyed like Christmas morning.

His mother giggled, I giggled....a few others giggled.....then it hit me....and I began to tear up....

The Last Supper......our communion with Jesus.....my eternal life.....ME being saved from hell because of HIM......

careful....careful....carefully.....don't take this for granted....it is precious! It was done for ME!

OH MAN! I REALLY want that!!

5 comments:

  1. beautiful. really. thank you, margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret, I felt that way at our Maundy Thursday Service last night. I always have tears in my eyes during communion at this service. It bring to life for me the death of our Lord and that He died for me. But then I realize that Easter morning is coming soon and we can say "He is Raisen".
    Happy Easter, Aunt Delores

    ReplyDelete
  3. That might be the best one yet!

    Oh, and I love that Laurel counts as one of your sons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful interpretation of what took place last night! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete