Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Thanks to my hair, I could handle it!!

God doesn't give us more than we can handle.....

It is SO TRUE!!

If it wasn't for my hair....I might not have survived high school!!!

When I was 14, my dad's company transferred/moved us from Chattanooga to Memphis.


I was awkward, short, quiet, grumpy and the boys in school had more curves than I did!!
I had NOTHING in common with ANYONE (or so I believed).....
I went to church with all the private school kids and I went to school with all the Baptists.
I was not athletic. I did not have above normal knowledge. I was not theatrical. I was not artistic. I was not a punk. I was not an addict. I was not a smoker. I did not grow up with any of the groups. I was not blond, tall, tan, rich, cheerleader........

I had one thing going for me. It was the end of the 80s. God had given me naturally 80s hair....

One of my friends posted this on facebook. ME, 14...."happy"on the bus.....not sure what happened to my friend after she took the picture!!......a slap maybe?



Even though I hated my hair then...as I do now....I never had to do a thing to it....it frizzed and stood up all on its own....I would watch other girls "tease", spray, roll, ....I washed and went to school....

By the way, I do have on blue eye shadow.....stupid teen trying to fit in.....yes....tried makeup...doesn't work on me!

4 comments:

  1. I think we are twins from a different mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOT T.H.E. H.A.I.R. again!! It never mattered whether you girls had straight,curly, long or short hair or the color of your hair.......you wanted it to be different.....me, too.( my own hair that is) Except that when I was 14...everyone had straight long hair...even if they had to sleep in big empty juice can "rollers" or even IRON their hair or use hot irons ......my long curly hair looked like a frizzy, fly out ,oh,I don't know what to call it....soooooo I had it cut off. much like I wear it now...pretty then,yucky now. I look back at pictures now of me then and my long hair was pretty, just like yours was ...but it wasn't the "in' hair ...and I refused to sleep in any kind of those goofy uncomfortable rollers or iron my hair or use hair irons,etc. I wish I had known to be happy with what I had. I bet some others would have joined me. We could have had our really pretty hair and the others could do the suffering....sigh....wisdom comes with age

    ReplyDelete
  3. when I think about all the money my mother spent trying to give me your hair, I weep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you want to know what is really sad/stupid???
    I actually "spiral" permed my hair to "control" the curl!! more than once!
    I laugh at myself....

    ReplyDelete