Sunday, July 8, 2012

Do you think anyone used a straw at the last supper?

Most of the time, when we do communion at our church, each row stands up and files down front to receive the "bread" and the "cup".

I was raised to sit in the pew and let the plate be passed to me.  I preferred this tradition to the "communion parade".

It has taken me several years to realize that communion is between me and my Lord.  I can't hide in the pew and partake of the bread and juice while thinking about laundry or work. I now feel that going down front is better, for me. It forces me to GET UP and take a stand.  I don't worry if people notice my hair freakin out or my skirt turned slightly to the side.  I am going to the Lord in repentance, praise and obedience.  Sometimes, I get so lost in prayer or the singing, that I become very emotional and tears run down my cheeks.

Today's communion was just as special as all the others.  I prepared my heart. Confessed the things that I put before God.
Praised God for making me the way I am, praised Him for loving me.....

I took the cracker and received my blessing. Ate the cracker....
I took the tiny plastic cup and received my blessing.....


I thanked Jesus for dying a horrible death FOR ME....MAZ, an earthly flaw, but perfection in God's eyes...
I tipped the cup...
BUT my head and neck did not move (due to some muscle pain)...still lost in a world of just me and God....
I slurped the juice from the cup as if my lips were a bendy straw. I ran my tongue into the tiny cup to lap out what I missed....

It wasn't until I looked up and noticed the first two rows staring at me that I realized what that might have looked like to everyone else...

Embarrassment flooded over me as I walked back to my seat.......

and then the Lord reminded me that he called ME to follow Him.  He chose me!
He chose MAZ.....MAZ that is selfish, MAZ that speaks harsh, MAZ that slurps communion.....

MAZ, child of God.

5 comments:

  1. This is my favorite blog of yours to date. I too have always preferred to take communion in the pew. This is because I can really concentrate on preparing myself without having to worry about tripping as I walk the aisle.
    Luv u,
    Alma

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful,Margaret.......sniff......sniff....so you WERE listening.... as that little kid resting under the pew...I am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes!!!
    Besides, it fun to have a giraffe for a friend!
    E

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are too funny!
    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too, took communion sitting down growing up. Walking down seemed very 'Catholic' to me...but it is beautiful(love my Catholic friends). You are correct. Even the slurping.

    --Trace

    ReplyDelete