Sunday, December 26, 2010

I am my mother after all!!!



As I loaded my Christmas pics off my camera and on to the computer....I came across this photo...apparently Jeff took a pic of me while I was washing dishes....I will GET him when he comes back from Puerto Rico....if I remember....

ANYWAY...when I first saw this picture, I thought "when was my mom in my kitchen washing dishes??" Then I looked closer and realized....IT IS ME!!!

A quote I saw on a mirror at a craft show popped into my head:
"Mirror, Mirror on the wall...DAMN I am my mother after all!"

HOLD ON!!! mom, apparently you are my only reader since I only get comments from you...hee hee...
SO don't get upset!!

I would like to take this post to tell my secret readers about my mom!
She went to the doctor in 1973 to get birth control and the doctor said "sorry Mrs. Armour, you are pregnant!".......(sorry dad!)
Thus began our mother/daughter/friend relationship!! I am not sure how those 9 months went BUT I weighed 10lbs and 5 oz.....AND she had me naturally without ANY drugs (she was in shock...has been for 37 years)....

My mom was (still is) creative and imaginative and a REAL natural teacher!!
I owe my gifts of teaching, disciplining and imagination to God VIA MY MOM!!
I also got my quirky sense of humor from HER!!
My mom is a strong woman! My mom had a mastectomy in 1986 and has been a survivor from breast cancer 24 years this November!!
My mom is extremely supportive of all her family!! 

I am not totally like my mother. She is patient, compassionate and giving. I am testy, sharp tongued and opinionated!
These differences have caused some typical mother/daughter issues over the years BUT we have the friendship to fall back on!!

There are many important and life changing things my mom said, did or provided.
HOWEVER, I want to share TWO that pop into my mind at least once a week!!

1. When I was 14, in the 9th grade and just moved to Memphis....we were having "trouble". My heart was hardened which showed through in my attitude. Every morning before I left for school, my mom would pray out loud FOR ME. It wasn't a prayer "aimed at me". It was a real prayer. Her conversation to God....praying for my day, her day and my heart! 
I started out angry and in "teenage disgust" at her....but slowly my heart was melted by God through her prayer!

2. When I was a new mom with Jack, I remember disciplining him and very gently my mom said/suggested "always think, am I disciplining Jack for his own good...or am I disciplining him because of what others may think, or because I want them to see him as perfect.."
I have had to think of this with both Jack and Max their entire lives. I am strict and expect MUCH out of children!! However, I often have to think...am I disciplining them because they need to learn this OR because I want them to present themselves AND ME a certain way.....

According to the above picture.....I am starting to look like my mother! Especially with my hair all cut off....

So, I will make my own mirror that says "Mirror, Mirror on the wall....SWEET, I am my mother after all!"

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your sweet words...sniffle.....smiling.....don't worry , you still look like Joel...Jeff did something "faky"with that camera....it does remind me of how I used to look though. I love you and value our friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! that is comforting to know I look like your brother that usually has long hair, beard and mustache!!! Good thing he is a favorite of mine too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it might be your EYES....hair texture....we will have to wait and see as you age....about the beard and moustache.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I still read this thingy. And dang it I'm beginning to look like mine. I think I need to change my hairstyle.

    Leslie B.

    ReplyDelete