Thursday, December 9, 2010

MAZ's book club

As a parent, teacher, special educator, and behaviorist........I am constantly reading books on ADD, learning styles, behavior disorders, discipline, etc. I love the psychology of educating children!!

My new favorite book is That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week: Helping Disorganized and Distracted Boys Succeed in School and Life  by Ana Homayoun

It may be geared toward boys (because they are usually the disorganized gender) BUT this book is excellent for ANY gender!!

This book provides a guide to identify the (dis)organizational style of the child. It describes 8 types of children and provides guidance on how to use strategies to teach them to set their own goals and objectives, to manage time, to study, and to get organized!

It is an interesting read. It is a reference book. It is a wonderful parenting guide!!


Another great book is Under Pressure: Rescuing Our Children From The Culture of Hyper-Parenting by Carl Honore.
This is a great book dealing with the "new" issue of hyper-parenting. Parents are sucking the joy out of childhood. They are "up in their kid's business".... in every part of their lives.....and kids are not able to handle simple challenges of life! 

Now that I am in the homeschool culture, I know why home schooled kids get a bad name! Some of these parents wrap their arms tightly around their children "to protect them from the world" but they are really doing more harm than good!! (that is my opinion, not this book)

Well, you can only imagine what life might be like for my two sons....
One book I love encourages me to schedule! organize! (which is my thing anyway.....)
Another book I love encourages me to "let go" and "leave those kids alone!" (micromanage=bad)

I am really glad Oprah quit this year! I always thought I would end up on her show because my sons had developed horrible twitches, eyes bugged out, and pointing fingers at me!!

Seriously, I encourage all parents and teachers to get both books!! You must try to find a middle in parenting! It is hard! I have been on the "parent swing" for 13 years now and I probably won't get off the swing until I die..........I hope there ISN'T a swing on my front porch in heaven!!!











1 comment:

  1. it takes time and bravery to do these things.....to put yourself last and the kids first....proud of you!

    ReplyDelete