Saturday, March 5, 2011

My first 5K

I got up at 6am......I headed to my first 5K!!

It was pouring rain and freezing!

I wore my garden boots.........

oh yea.....did I mention.....my job was to stand, shiver and cheer the runners!!

You thought I was IN the race.....HA!!! I ate a donut before the start and a fried chicken biscuit at the end....and I sipped my sweet tea while "they" ran.....

As I drove home I realized how exhausting it was to shiver, stand and watch the runners!! WHEW! what a morning!!

I was so proud of this year's first annual 5k Miles for Mercy. It is a fund raiser for the Mercy Ministry.

I was impressed when I saw a group running TO the race.....It was a chore just to get in my car and drive the 3 minutes! 
My son was volunteering with his mission team and had to arrive at 7:30am. The race started at 9am. I had shin splints by 8:45 from dancing to the music.

I was so excited to stand in the middle of a major intersection, hear the gun fire, see the people run and feel a different thrill than when I have been in previous gun/running people situations! 

I was so excited to be a part of this race! The part that walked across the street to wait for the end!.....

FIRST PLACE!!! (I don't know him)

I am afraid to post pics of people that I know....without asking them...because some people lead private lives....NOT ME!!!

However....not these two people!!

My favorite people in the whole world.....
Pastor Ricardo Green and his wife Reyna
They put up with me when I led the children's ministry for Su Casa. Reyna now leads the children's ministry and Ricardo is the pastor of Esperanza church. 
Ricardo believes that I will one day learn Spanish....I believe that one day he will understand that I am special.....




6 comments:

  1. Oh, yes! You made me laugh out loud .....yet again! Get some rest,I know you are exhausted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marg you are just toooo much. Maybe you should start running so you could get people to waite on you. I sure am glad you did not get run over by the cars and/or the runners DAD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I've always thought running a 5k was less work that volunteering for one.

    -Todd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang it, I've always thought running a 5k was less work THAN volunteering for one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I started reading this my first thought was "SHOW OFF". But then I realized that you were in a "supporting role" and I felt so much better.
    I hope you went home to a nice warm cup of hot choc. with lots of whip cream.
    XXOO Aunt Delores

    ReplyDelete
  6. well i hope im at least your second favorite person.......love you too mom



    -the Z

    ReplyDelete