Wednesday, January 19, 2011

It doesn't add up!

My oldest has been struggling through the first level of a particular Math curriculum (middle school level). My math abilities, without Teacher's Edition, stops about 6th grade so I was excited to have this book with a professor on DVD.

This son hates math and I thought that was the trouble.

THEN I started noticing that the book had mistakes! I thought....everyone is human....even the authors of this book...........and pressed on (well, made HIM press on!)

THEN the dvd that contains the professor....broke......YIKES!
 I was forced to pay MORE attention to the content of this book so that I could TEACH what the book was leaving out......

I noticed MORE areas that were "just not good" for students.... ESPECIALLY non-math students.

THEN my husband (graphic designer) was helping one night and exclaimed "this book is crap!".....or something like that...
He showed me how the graphs and other "models"or "graphics" were confusing and poorly done!!
Unfortunately, my son is now at the very end of this book/level.....too late.....a horrible torture he had to endure for this level of math!!

He was able to learn but it took long, horrendous days, anxiety,tears, struggles.... JUST PLAIN OLD ridiculous stress that should not have been........this is very bad for learning math!!

I am still making him take the Final Exam for this book. In order to make sure that there aren't any mistakes.....

I TOOK THE FINAL!!!

My son asked if his brother was going to have to do this book. I told him "no". I was finding a new curriculum.
My oldest gave me a look that I thought meant "why doesn't my little brother have to go through a year of torture?"
When I responded to this, my oldest said "no! I was wondering if I could have this book to do whatever I want to it..."
YES, YES!!! Get all that built up stress, anxiety and frustration out!!!
I am allowing him to destroy this book however he wants!!!
I will have the EMT, police and fire dept. on standby.....and I will take pictures to share with my readers!!

Will he use the shop tools?


Will he blow it up?

Will he use it for target practice?


p.s.
this is just our experience and my opinions.....others have had success with this math curriculum......

6 comments:

  1. You have got to be kidding me! At least you were smart enough to figure out the errors. I hope you can get your money back or was it a "bargain, if so then that is why it was a "bargain". Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. PLEASE write a book! You're too clever to be wasting your talent on your family and me... no offense to your family.
    E.

    maybe it should be a math book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. if i were him, i would super glue every page to the teacher's body and double wrap her in duct tape! THEN decide between fire or power tools.--Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahhahahahahahahahahaha
    "ha ha" is aimed at the comment by teresa)...i am proud of you for letting him do what ever he needs to do! they are learning soooo much... proud of all of you....gmom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, please write a book! I will gladly add it to my collection! ~Amie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teresa, Jack LOVED your comment!! Thanks! Now I have to sleep with one eye open!!

    Dad, I bought it used.....no money back....

    E and Amie, if I wrote a book, I am afraid it would end up in the $1 bin..

    ReplyDelete