Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Happiest place on earth

After walking around disney (hollywood studios), in the rain, for the second day (epcot first day), I then stood under a tiny pool umbrella for an hour so Max could swim in the rain (until 11:30pm).
A family clumsily walked by me dragging souveniers, carrying 3 toddlers...all wrapped in soaking ponchos..
"You are dedicated!" She threw those words at me as she struggled to walk as fast as she could to get out of the rain.

I laughed and said something stupid about getting an award some day. It didn't make sense...
I used a few seconds to become prideful and think what a marvelous mother I am....
Feet hurting, legs throbbing, soaking and chilled to the bone...
I started to tear up. I AM tired. I AM uncomfortable.....
Then I remembered my logic for doing this for Max in the first place.

My kids are respectful.
My kids are kind.
(Max asked me about every 15 minutes if I was ok standing in the rain)
My kids hearts are soft and sweet.

Then I thanked God for the guidance and gifts he gave me for raising kids. I have constantly thrown those kids to Him and prayed for wisdom....then listened for His guidance.

I have been entertaining myself these past couple of days.
I have enjoyed watching families at the most expensive, happiest place on earth.

A dad to his three young teen sons:
"I swear you all act like stupid babies when you don't get your way."

A mother to her preteen daughter:
"Why are you upset with me? You lost it!"
Then she went on to argue with her daughter for 3 minutes and 27 seconds. (I know because that is the wait time between the rides)

It was amusing and sometimes sad to see kids  whine or scream and parents fussing and arguing with the child.

I wanted to stop time.
Freeze everyone and then go to each family:
"You have taught your child to act that way by allowing them to EVER say or do that!"
Or
"You are being a bully to your child. Grow up and be the parent!"

So when Max came over to my canvas, pool umbrella that was slowly allowing the heavy rain to soak me, I told him "15 more minutes" even though we had passed that mark.

Max has been eating food that he doesn't like without a word or look to let me know he wasn't happy. Max handled not getting "stuff", being interrupted, the cancellation of a huge fun show because of rain, going on rides he didn't like.....
All with a compliant, respectful heart.

That decision he made to keep his heart soft instead of letting a rebellious spirit harden it....
That decision was rewarded with a latenight swim in the pouring rain. He enjoyed it and was thankful with words.
Where was Jack?
In bed (I can only be nice to one kid at a time)
Just kidding! He was tired.

Don't argue with your kids. Let your yes be yes and your no be no.

Or do like me
"No"
Think about it
"No"
And very rare times
"Yes"
And on those times I get
"Mom,are you ok?"

3 comments:

  1. my favorite blog you've ever posted. I truly loved this and beleive this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret, You are the Mother I wish I had been when my girls were young. I love you.
    Aunt Delores

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you and Amie and wish I could have been that king of mother. This is my favorite blog so far.
    Love you, Alma

    ReplyDelete