Friday, June 4, 2010

The Man Behind The Music


Did you know that bands do not travel with their own instruments?? 

I didn't!! I guess I just figured that they travelled with their own .....
I actually never put much thought into it!!

Last night, at the Memphis Italian Festival, I met a very nice man with a very interesting job.
This is Paul Reding. He owns Keyboards in Black & White. He has a warehouse full of instruments and his company travels around and sets up the amps and instruments for concerts. They get it all ready for the musicians!! He has worked with Ronnie Milsaps, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis and many, many others.




Last night, Eddie Smith and his band performed the opening gig for the Italian Fest. I do not prefer country BUT they were more of a "Johnny Cash" country and I really enjoyed their set! AND you can't beat a live concert!!
Here are some pics of Eddie Smith, his band AND Paul Redding's business in action (hee hee)


Paul did explain that most musicians might have special guitars, horns, saxaphones, etc....and they bring their own......but everything else is provided. Because "why would they want to bother traveling/lugging all that equipment all over the country".......good point!




This is Eddie Smith. I was told he often plays at Neil's on Overton Square, Memphis Tn.



This is Terry Bailey. He looked right at me and smiled for the picture! At this moment I decided that I started my own business and I was the boss and I gave myself a raise.....because I had walked right up to the stage and took this pic AND got the guy (that was in the middle of playing) to look at me and smile.....however, I wasn't very professional because I took the camera away from my face after I took the picture and grinned like a big idiot and then he really smiled and then I MIGHT have done a tiny dance and then turned and ran back to my big sis and said "look at this picture I got and he smiled at me" and I was all giggly......so I told myself that I would not get very far in my own company if I kept acting like that!!!



This is Jack Holder. Paul told me that his guy is very talented!! AND HE IS!! I loved watching him play his guitar. He has played with many people including Tracy Chapman!


Well, as you can see I am not a journalist! I did not know how to conduct an interview. I just really enjoyed talking to Paul and listening to his stories! I wish I had a tape recorder because when I got back to the house I had forgotten some of the names that he had spoken. He told some great stories!....like....

Steven Seagal had a birthday party for his daughter. Seagal lives in Memphis because his daughter receives treatment at St. Jude. Paul was at the Seagal house setting up for entertainment. Paul was washing his hands (they all had to wash up because of the sick girl) when someone introduced him to Seagal. Seagal was very nice and shook his hand. Then the entertainer started playing. It was very, very loud. They started saying "turn down the sound/amps".....then they realized that the sound and amps had never been turned on.....BO DIDDLY is just a very loud player!!!

After hearing his amazing stories, I asked him for a job! (kidding) I told him that I have always wanted to be a ROCKER but I can't play an instrument or sing. I love music and concerts!! His life sounds so exciting...... He said:
"are you married?"
"yes"
"do you have kids?"
"2 boys"
"then no!"
So I thought, my husband already travels and I can live through him.....so I asked:
"can you give my husband a job?"
"is he married?"
"to me"
"does he have any kids?"
"same 2 boys"
"then no!".....it is not a job for anyone with "ties"
My dreams for Rocker MAZ were squelched once again!

Then reality hit:


It poured down rain.....I looked over at Paul as he continued to rock under the sound tent. I wrapped my "apron strings" around me and went home to cook dinner for my "family ties".  I laid on the couch and listened to the beat....beat......beat......of the 9:30 concert and then happily went to bed...............



1 comment:

  1. This was such a fun experience! I really enjoyed meeting him! Very, very interesting! :D

    ReplyDelete