Sunday, June 6, 2010

MAZ Earhart

Saturday morning, several boy scouts from Troop 86 had the opportunity to fly airplanes as a requirement for the aviation merit badge. The pilots actually gave them momentary control of the plane! Before the day got started, one of the pilots gave a tiny speech to the boy scouts.......
"Don't go near the planes without an adult........some parts of the planes are made out of fabric so be careful about touching them.......any questions?......"

And that was it!!! They put them in the planes, showed them the controls, and they flew!!.....kind of scary.....
But enough about them....This blog is all about ME!!!!

I flew a plane!!!!





The pilot was very nice and explained exactly how everything worked. He showed me how to keep the plane level to the horizon, how to "steer" and how to use my feet to control the "rudder". I actually flew the plane by myself, twice!! 

The first thing the pilot asked me was if I had a weak stomach.
"no"
"Well if you do, the bag is in there. (points to a glove compartment the size of a 3x5 index card) But we like to keep it in there"

We flew around for about 30 minutes and then he realized he was not really sure where our landing area was. He was not familiar with the area. It was getting hot. It was very windy and bumpy. The plane was very small and the gas fumes were giving me a headache.  I had asked many questions and he was flipping the plane back and forth to show me how this level thingy worked. I was starting to feel a tiny bit sick......but no matter what.....I was going to make sure that bag stayed in the compartment!!!

I looked on the ground and spotted the bright yellow plane that my boys had been flying. The pilot explained how to land the plane as he came in for a very odd landing. We came over the trees and then suddenly dropped a ton of altitude, swerved back and forth and then gently landed......I had grabbed the seat waiting for a bumpy landing from the sudden drop and the swerve! He was amused but explained everything to me!!! These tiny planes are SOOOO different from the big commercial ones!!

I had a blast!!! I asked Jeff for one for Christmas...........we'll see...........


oh, and Max and Jack both flew an airplane!! All 3 of us are still completely thrilled!!








No comments:

Post a Comment