Sunday, July 17, 2011

Being a great parent for a teen

My oldest will be 14 at the end of August. 

He never gives me "rules" of what to do or not do around him like most teens (because he knows he would get a LOOK or I would DO something to him).

When we are around his friends, I try not to talk to him (unless I need to) and let him approach me......

I am still myself...I am not worried about embarrassing him (it is a given that I probably will)...I just know from being a teen...and teaching teens....stay away from teens...and they will approach you when they need you!!


Today, I was helping my son get his stuff together for his mission trip. I told him I had my camera to take some pictures of the mission team "leaving".

Jack: "um, just take my picture here (at home). not at church."

I ignored him.

In the car....

Jack: "where's your camera?"

Me:...driving...."I'm not taking your picture (at home). I don't want one of you at home. I have plenty of those." 

I did not completely lie. He did not ask a specific question.

I took one picture that is not appropriate for the world to see but I will show him when he gets home. It says...."you don't tell me what to do...I am the mother!"

Then I took the following picture because the 3 rental vans had weird color effects around the wheels and running boards!! Teal and lime green.....

I couldn't help it that a few boys got in the way!


Where are the girls? hugging their mothers.....



No comments:

Post a Comment