Friday, June 17, 2011

SWEET ESCAPE......I feel like new!

I have needed a couple of days to "get away from it all"....

I got just what I needed this past Thursday and Friday!! AHHHH.....my sweet escape!!!

I know most women would like...
a day at the spa...manicure, pedicure...

NOT ME...actually, I have never been to those/had those...and don't plan to (sounds yucky)..

My idea of a stress release???


Two day training for CERT volunteer!! I missed my calling....to be a paramedic, or with an emergency response of some sort....but the past two days were a taste of some pretty cool stuff...

AND I got to do it with my dad....and that's...pretty cool !!!

First, we were told to put on the mandatory CERT leader items
Boots (we didn't have them), Hat, Goggles, Gloves, Mask.....and we got a vest...


Then, we were told we were going to put out an oil fire!! I was so excited...I immediately texted Jeff!!


I soon realized that we were not using the fire hose....but fire extinguishers....AND we were not driving the fire trucks.....AND this above building was not going to be set on fire....you have to click on the above picture to see the small contained oil fire that we were putting out with an extinguisher....while walking arm in arm with a fully suited fireman.....BUT IT WAS STILL REALLY COOL!!!

We learned a TON of information the first day.... because of course.... I will be able to take over the world in case of a disaster....I am certified to do so....

One interesting fact that was brought to my attention....and I feel the need to remind everyone...in case of an emergency...

You can drink the water that is in the back of your toilet tank!! So scoop it in a nice pitcher, use some party cups...and enjoy!!


By the end of the first day...a few of us were DEAD tired!!


Day two was Search And Rescue...and I was in charge of medical...talking to the victim...

I found out that her name was Sue Ellen, she was worried about her children, she could not feel her legs, she had trouble breathing, and she was not happy...

My team used the leverage/cribbing technique to free her from debris....we started to pull her from the rubble and realized that her forehead was marked DEAD.....she indeed did not have a pulse....she was like a dummy....

I mentioned to my teammates that I must be the ghost whisperer because I had been talking to her (or her spirit) the entire time.....and she was dead.....(it IS one of my favorite shows and I HAVE been watching the seasons on netflix).....again, I was thrilled!!!

After learning how to make bombs, survive explosions, etc.....we received our REAL and professional government badges, were told where to order our special CERT bags filled with the CERT hard hats, etc and were given certificates of completion.....I felt sure that I would also receive one of these...

I did not...

I have not been able to order my official CERT leader gear.....but I am ready for any neighborhood disaster....and will carry my professional badge at all times....even to church!!
Hat, Gloves, Mask, Goggles, Boots, (vest)
BADGE








2 comments:

  1. Don't forget the simulated search and rescue where we found our two instuctors under the tables, one "dead" and one alive. I still am amazed how ALL the trainees decided to enter the room at one time in single file. If the structure was real we could have "lost" the whole search and rescue team. The rest of the program was a great experience. DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..........OH,MY! These adventures of Margaret and her Dad continue......I thought aging would slow them down.....apparently not.....sigh....I need to be put on everyone's prayer list....snicker...By the way! You have been forewarned! If Margaret or her Dad,(and God forbid !) BoTtH of them show up at your house..don't give ANY sign,not even a feeble one that you might need ReSCuEd !! and especially don't appear dEAd,or you will have DEAD written across your forehead in PERMANENT ink...(ROFLOL!!)

    ReplyDelete