Thursday, June 2, 2011

Life can be a London Fog

For some reason I have strange memories that stick with me from my childhood and one is my mother's raincoat....I remember when I was young my mom had a nice trench coat made by London Fog. She loved it!!


When I was about 5 years old, I was at the mall with my mom. We had paused at one of the store fronts to look at something. After a few moments, I turned and saw my mom's dark, short hair and her prized London Fog coat walking down the mall.....How could she just walk off and leave me? She did not even say "come on, let's go"...or take my hand...nothing!! I ran to her and grabbed her hand. I looked up into her face...

It wasn't my mom. A strange lady smiled down at me....

At the same time...one step behind me...my mom's voice calmly and reassuringly called "Margaret"...

I turned and ran to her. I hugged her as if I had been gone from her for hours...even though it was only a few seconds.....

My mom had not left me.....I had confused myself by taking my eyes off my mom. I had not looked at the face. I had not looked at what I KNEW to be her, the characteristics, the TRUTH.....I "glanced" at the "wrapping" and assumed it to be the truth.....


I have had to watch myself at church recently and not make the same mistake with my husband (or pastor)....

We had a pastor on staff that resembled my husband....bald, same facial hair, similar height, etc....

On several occasions I had stopped myself from slapping this man on the back of the head or embracing him from behind, etc.....because at the last second THANK GOODNESS...I thought to myself...

"this guy has on a suit....Jeff doesn't wear a suit"

I would have embarrassed myself MANY times by slapping or hugging or maybe lovingly caressing this pastor if I had not looked for THE TRUTH and just "glanced" at what I "wanted" to see.....

Because I decided to give my life back to Jesus, there are some trials in life that don't "go" with the world's outlook or standards. I often "glance" at the situation and feel confused or misled.

James chapter one (a book in the Bible) reminded me that God does not tempt us. His word has given me all the TRUTH that I need. I can look at the trial in the face and He is one step behind me......calmly and reassuringly calling my name...."Margaret"

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, powerful metaphor. So true. We should write a book, since we both love metaphor!
    E

    ReplyDelete