Sunday, May 29, 2011

"If I had my way King Raven would pluck out his eyes and eat his right royal liver."

I have always enjoyed the stories of Robin Hood....but each of them have left me with some disappointment:

it is either....too ANIMATED:




or.....too cheesy:




two words....Mel Brooks:




.....um....NO!




too "teen crowd"



too Russell Crowe



None of these stories had the.... STORY!!
I finally found an author that GOT the story....

If any of my readers are familiar with Stephen R. Lawhead, you will know that he spends time getting you invested in his characters.....

unfortunately....this causes me to lose interest in a few of his wonderful books...(because of my small brain)

He is an excellent writer ....but I need to be sucked in right away...I need action and story to grab me and carry me through the whole book....

This book DID IT!!!


He is a genius with this NEW telling of Robin Hood. He took it out of England and set it in Wales, year AD 1093.
*historically Wales would have primeval forests and England would not!.....duh!.....genius!
*he uses history to write how the Robin Hood legend WOULD have actually been!!
*historical use of weaponry
*historical use of military, the people, their life, the geography, etc

AND for my entertainment.....gore, war, mystery, suspense, humor, betrayal....

HOOD is the first in the King Raven Trilogy. I am enjoying the second book just as much, if not more!!


 In the second book, SCARLET, the reader is listening as Will Scarlet (prisoner in a cell) tells a monk about his adventures with RHI  BRAN  HUD (say it real fast)......


I can't wait to finish SCARLET and begin the third and final book, TUCK!


What are you reading this summer??

No comments:

Post a Comment