Monday, October 19, 2009

Where The Wild Things Are

After many many years, Maurice Sendak finally gave permission for his book to be made into a movie. He liked Spike Jonze and Spike's ideas.

I loved this book. I read it so many times (as a teacher) that I could quote almost the whole book. I was not sure what to expect from this movie. It was obviously going to be MUCH more than the few words in the original book. As I was able to see the previews, I became excited. It would not be animated. It would not have "cgi" monsters.

THEN, last week, I heard a review. The two movie critics said it was a great movie but a tear jerker because of the boy's life. I did not want to see something like that. I do not like movies that make me cry.....on purpose.

My Max really wanted to see this movie!! So, I went!

I have 3 perspectives on this movie. You can decide which person you would relate to and decide if you might like the movie!

Jack is 12 years old. He is not an aggressive child. He takes things literal!!

Max is 10 years old. He lives in his own imaginary world! He creates worlds and new people. Max is more of an aggressive child.

Me! I am 36 years old. A mother, a teacher and skeptic of kid movies.....most do not entertain me.

Jack
Jack did not like the movie AT ALL. He said it was long, boring and did not have a point. He found a few moments very funny. He did not think the "play fighting" with the Wild Things made sense because he found it strange that they would enjoy that kind of play.

Max
Max loved this movie. He repeated several parts of the movie on the way home and getting into bed. He talked about the "wild things world" as if he could actually go there and play with these monsters. I sat by Max and he laughed out loud throughout the movie. He really got the "surprise funny" moments. Even the funny parts that are just to be "seen" and you really have to pay attention!!

Me
I absolutely loved this movie. This child did not have a "horrible" life. It was not a tear jerker. It had some sentimental moments and YES it did bring a tear to my eye. Max, the character, has a family life like many children in this time of life. His parents are divorced. He has a loving mother that is tired and trying to make a life for her family. He misses his dad. He has an older sister that is not "mean" but ignores his attempts to "love" her and get her attention. The movie gives this as a background story. It is done well and not overdramatic.
The Wild Things world was fun, creative, hilarious and very entertaining. From an artistic point of view, the movie was beautiful to watch. From a teacher and mother point of view, the movie was thick with life lessons, boyhood, childhood anger and family dynamics.
The monsters were great. The face was CGI but the body was a puppet suit. It was interesting how the whole movie was "real" and the monsters fit right in!!
What really entertained me was how violent and aggressive this movie was. JUST LIKE A LITTLE BOY! The aggressive play, the yelling, the anger, the sweet moments......
I laughed out loud several times. The dialogue was great and at many times hysterical. There were sight gags, facial expressions, asides, and one liners.

I think most adults would love this movie. I think 6 to 1o year old boys would like the FUN of the movie. "In between" kids might be confused by the deep lessons that are lying below the story. I think that is why Jack did not enjoy the movie. He was not able to "read" into what the monsters were going through and how that relates to the needs of a family.
I think the younger children won't even notice it. They will see it as a story that entertains.
It IS an artistic movie so that may be a turn off to some people.

**I have no clue if there is any bad language. I never notice that in movies....

2 comments:

  1. hahahahahah you're soo cool:) i love how you seem to love it the most:)) !!! HA my friends five year old bro saw it and LOVED it:D his family is just like that too:) heehee im glad you like big monsters that hang out with a lil' boyyy haha <3 you

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...the best part to reading this book to little ones was pausing as the very last page is being turned to let the response from them be heard....."and it was still warm ".......they were really thrilled with that story! I am glad to hear that is has been handled so well ......I can't wait to see it! I know that your MAX wished he could go live there with the monsters or at least visit for a long time....Jack has reached the world of "tween" between twelve and twenty.....a ocean like world between childhood and adulthood..we can teach this age group that growing older is mandatory BUT growing OLD is not......your enjoyment of this story is proof that we can be successful grown-ups , but still let the child in us rejoice in fun things!! YOU CAN HAVE THE BEST OF BOTH OF THESE WORLDS !!!

    ReplyDelete