Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Jack is truly special

It seems that just when I am understanding the stage my oldest son is in.....he moves on to another stage!! WORSE....I don't even know it is a stage until 2 years later when my other son starts acting the same way!!

"oh! Jack did that.....this must be a stage for this age."

Jack has hit a really cool stage. He is very funny. He does physical or facial comedy as well as spoken word. Smart kid has already figured out how to "defuse" me. I don't mean in a bad way to manipulate or get away with bad behavior. I mean he notices when I am grumpy, angry, tired or whatever....and instead of "normal" teen attitude coming my way....he breaks into comedy. He can give a look, a comment, etc....and we both are laughing.

Jack has always been able to converse with adults. Now, we have great conversations!!! I have to remind myself that he is only 12 and not 18 or 19. He sees other kids exactly the way I do......the odd ones, the special ones, the nerdy ones, the naughty ones, the ones neglected by parents, the ones that choose to be brats, the ones that are obnoxious......I have to remind myself that he is one of them BUT PERFECT ha ha...I could see him as a behavior teacher like me but will try hard to guide him in another direction.... hee hee

As far as school goes, he is very smart but hates doing work. It has been a small struggle to keep school fun when the student snarls at everything.....

A couple of weeks ago, Jack decided that he was going to Vanderbilt and major in Engineering. This week he has done double his usual school work. His attitude toward math has done a 180!!
AND it is not just the school work......he is being such a great big brother to Max, he is playing more instead of asking to play video games.....

I am not sure if this is a stage, how long it will last, etc.....but I enjoy getting to know my Jack and his individual personality. I worried that me being such a controlling mother would make Jack a kid that did not know who he was.....but he does.....lordy, he does!!

1 comment:

  1. yes, Jack is and always has been a very special person...He will be such an incredible Man....

    ReplyDelete