Thursday, March 11, 2010

MAZ endorsement

Two thumbs up for the Frist Museum in Nashville!!

We have been studying Ancient Greece in school. We took a day trip to Nashville last weekend. We went to the Parthenon and the Frist Museum. The Frist had an exhibit about the heroes and legends of Greek Mythology. It was interesting to us because we had just read the myths. However, it was mostly reading and looking at the illustrations on the pottery. I do not suggest driving to Nashville for this exhibit...

BUT

I do suggest driving to Nashville for their "hands-on" art room. I think this is a permanent room. They have more than 30 stations set up for the children:
printmaking, self-portraits, water color, still life drawing, light/dark shading, paper sculptures, stop-motion animation, etc.....

I was very impressed at how they have organized and designed this to be kid-friendly but actually teach something!!! So many times, museums will have something like this but then let the kids go with no instruction.

The Frist provided staff at each station to show the kids what to do and then encourage them to do it on their own!
I am NOT a person or parent who likes kids to just be kids!!! They need boundaries and instruction and then let them be themselves!!!

I give the Martin Artquest Gallery (inside the Frist) 5 MAZ smiles!!!
1st smile: organized and well manned
2nd smile: actual art being taught
3rd smile: fun and interesting for all ages!!
4th smile: staff was friendly and involved with the kids
5th smile: was really crowded but everything flowed smoothly!!

Martin Artquest should be honored!! I mostly roll my eyes or run away from kid zones!!

I also liked seeing the building! They redid an old Post Office building Art Deco Style!! It reminded me of the movie Hudsucker's Proxy. They had the Baroque exhibit which I liked but the boys were mortified at all the naked women. My favorite was The Temptation of St. Anthony. No boobies, just demons!! Very cool!! They also had a really cool exhibit where these machine sculptures moved and lit up, U-Ram Choe: New Urban Species.

I GOT A NEW CAMERA BEFORE WE WENT!!!


1 comment:

  1. sounds like it is the way it should be.... so all the kids can have fun ,not just the one who are allowed to be naughty !!

    ReplyDelete