Thursday, April 22, 2010

2 nosepickers


2 "NO" picks

and...I realize one of these reviews might make some of you brainy literary people cringe.....

I read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and Jasper Fforde's The Big Over Easy.


I was so excited to read Frankenstein. BUT phooey phooey!! Mary Shelley loved to yammer yammer!!! YES!! I know why she wrote the book, I know what you are supposed to glean from the book.....BUT I wanted a good horror story and I felt Mary Shelley had the talent and the story in her hands and she threw it away! Too much yammerin about other stuff!! I wanted more action!

SAME with The Big Over Easy!! This book is about a detective, Jack Spratt, who is over the NCD (Nursery Crime Division). Humpty Dumpty has been murdered. Jack and his new partner, Mary Mary, must solve the case. Jack has made arrests in previous cases but no charges had been made:

       "can you confirm that you have the lowest conviction/investigation ratio of any department in Reading?......sheep rustling from Miss Bo-peep. Two arrests, no charges. Failure to properly take care of livestock by 'Boy' Blue. One arrest, no charges. Cruelly putting a cat in a well. Johnny Flynn arrested, no charges brought. Kidnapping of Hansel and Gretel with intent to commit cannibalism. One arrest, no charges. Criminal spreading panic of sky falling. One arrest, no charges. Bluebeard. Died awaiting trial. 'Goosey' Gander, freed on appeal. Mr. Punch, arrested for wife battery, throwing a baby downstairs and illegal possession of a crocodile. All charges dropped."

This quote made me want to read an interesting story............NO!!! It was weird. It could have been cute and great but it brought in all kind of different story lines and characters. I was lost half the time and I have no clue how it ended. I think a robot was involved.......

I do not recommend The Big Over Easy.
I have to recommend Frankenstein.......but I was disappointed!!




                  

1 comment:

  1. ..enjoyed your reviews...funny...not interested in either one though : |

    ReplyDelete