Saturday, November 6, 2010

emotional day

Today was a day to mark the passing of time.

FIRST
Jeff was the manager of Colco Fine Woods for 3 years. It was his favorite job EVER!! It was his dream job. He loved working with the wood and the woodworkers. Unfortunately, it only paid hourly and did not provide any benefits. After Jeff got his current job, he dreamed of buying Colco! We even looked into it seriously....but could never find a way to make it happen.
Bill, the owner, passed away this summer. Colco is going out of business. EVERYTHING must go!! Bill's son held back a special item for Jeff until Jeff could get back in town. We went to pick it up today. I don't know about Jeff, but being in the store, around his co-workers, around Bill's son and picking up the special item.....made me choke back some tears. Colco was Jeff's favorite job!! It was the best place to work!!

At times, Mr. Bill would sit at the front of the store in this chair. He would wait for customers to greet them as soon as they came in the door. He was in his late 80s.

Jeff said he only wanted the chair if I would let him keep it in the house. I was happy to have it in the living room. It is actually in good shape and very comfortable. I love the history that comes with it!!

SECOND
Back in August, Jeff was driving home in our oldest car and it died. It has been sitting in our second driveway (yes we have 2....long story). We have been using one car which is not a problem since he is gone all the time. The other day, a couple stopped and asked if I wanted to sell that car. I said it did not work. He asked me some questions...I called Jeff.....long story short....

We sold the car today. This car is the car we bought when Jack was born. We needed a car that had seat belts that would WORK and would hold a car seat for a newborn. I remember buying the car brand new off the Saturn lot. I had never had a brand new car...only used. We hardly had any money. We bought the lowest line...no power ANYTHING....We even had the guy take the console out of the middle because that would have been an extra $100. I bet those salespeople talked about us for the longest!! I took a picture of our newborn 8lb baby in the backseat just like the day we bought it....well sort of....


Now I have to mow the driveway where that car had been sitting.......





2 comments:

  1. Jack, you still look adorable in that car! My! How you have grown!! I really like the Mr. Bill chair....so special for the son to think of Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no, we had to ask for the chair!! Mr. Bill's son has only met Jeff a couple of times. We told a couple of people that work there that Jeff wanted it!!

    ReplyDelete