Thursday, February 2, 2012

You don't follow me on facebook? Then you have missed some adventure!

I almost didn't write this post because I have been updating on facebook...

BUT then I remembered my readers that DO NOT read facebook...

Two weeks ago (on Friday) Jack was given Septra for an ingrown toenail. It is an antibiotic of the Sulfa drugs.

For a whole week (while he took and finished the 7 day Septra) Jack had 104 fever, non-stop vomiting and developed a rash. The doctor said it was a "flu-like" virus.

Saturday ( a week later) I took Jack to the doctor office but saw a different doctor (the one we like). He took one look at Jack and sent us straight to LeBonheur Children's Hospital ER.

The ER triage nurse knew immediately that he was having a severe drug reaction.
The ER doctor said "this is not good".  He admitted Jack and we stayed two nights.

The rash was "like a burn".  Jack was burning from the inside out and he FELT IT!!!
 
He held the popsicle in his mouth "to cool off"!

click on the pics for a better view 
He reminded me of one of my favorite children's book....Put Me In The Zoo

 I actually felt like I was in a zoo in Jack's room! They have a viewing window. I thought about running up to the glass and hitting it like the zoo apes....

The way the closed curtain was positioned (while sleeping at night) I could STILL see the window, the nurses....and they could see me....creepy!

The Septra damaged Jack's liver. His liver enzymes should be 25 to 50. They started at 1430 and went down to 990. It will take awhile to recover but we are thankful the damage is not permanent!

Because of the damage, the liver did not process the tylenol that was given to him to lower his fever.
His blood count was a 1.7 (I think it is supposed to be 5?).
His sodium was really low and they were monitoring his skin. There was a possibility that it would sloth off (like a burn). Thankfully it did not!
Jack was also extremely dehydrated. He had an IV for 2 days......a lot of bags!

The doctors did a bunch of tests to monitor and check for other issues.

When we went to have an ultrasound, the transporter parked Jack (and his wheelchair) under this piece of art:

A Jackass and the definition! HILARIOUS for a children's hospital...and perfect for Jack!
(click on the pic and look close!)

We had many friends and family come visit us in the hospital! We have received loving cards, and yummy meals!

We have been told that this was VERY SERIOUS and Jack's body took a hard hit! We are thankful that things were not worse!

I knew Jack would be fine when the hospital advocate gave him this get well card. After the man left, Jack slowly picked up the card, came out of his "zombie state", and said
"he did not put money in the flap"


I want to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers, love and help! We are rich and happy!

Jack goes February 10th to see a Hepatologist. I call her the Liver Lady. She will care for Jack and his liver!
He is to drink plenty of water!
and no medications for awhile! Mr. Liver needs a rest!



1 comment:

  1. We are so very happy to know that Jack is home and is still in God's hands. God has left him with us on this earth though this dangerous situation because He has very special things in store for Jack. We love you all and continue to pray for complete healing.

    Aunt Alma & Uncle Jerry

    ReplyDelete