Thursday, June 25, 2009

Age of Opportunity

As most of you know, I am a behavior therapist. I like to keep up on the latest books that churches and doctors and teachers are encouraging parents to read. I also read them for my own knowledge and help :)

My middle sister gave me a great book at Christmas time:
Age of Opportunity A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens by Paul David Tripp
I have really been enjoying this book!! It has brought to my attention the things that I could possibly have done wrong because I am a "do it because I said so" mom. It has also been an encouragement in my own spiritual life. Tripp tells the parents to look at your heart and motives of your heart before engaging with your child. That is so important!!
He also explains and backs up with scripture, that it is so important to not let your teen become secluded, private, silent, selfish (all this is natural but dangerous). He gives great points on how to deal with the heart motives of your child by teaching them what God says!! What God has planned for them!! What God created them to be!!

I read this while I am by the pool. Blinking back tears because of dealing with my own heart, recognizing my own mistakes, and the excitement of what is ahead!!


No comments:

Post a Comment