Wednesday, November 25, 2009

More Than Thanksgiving Day

My parents were married on Thanksgiving Day 44 years ago!?

I love this picture! They were 18 years old. This year, their anniversary fell on Thanksgiving Day...again!
The story goes that they picked Thanksgiving Day because mom's dad would not close his furniture store for their wedding. It would already be closed for Thanksgiving. I think my dad was trying to be "smart" and picked Thanksgiving so he would remember the anniversary. OOPS, Thanksgiving isn't the same every year (hee hee).

23 years ago, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and had her surgery near Thanksgiving Day. We put the Christmas tree up early that year...and have ever since! They had a steak dinner in the hospital on their anniversary.

Thanksgiving will always be more than just a day of food! It reminds me that 2 complete opposites can marry and stay committed to each other for life (ha ha). AND that my mom is a survivor! She survived to mother me throughout my teens, she was here for my wedding, she was here for the births of my kids, she IS HERE to be my friend!!

1 comment:

  1. ....makes me emotional......... : ) I have lived long enough to be a friend to my girls ...... love you ,mriend (mom/friend)

    ReplyDelete