Saturday, December 12, 2009

the latest MAZ creations

I had an idea to use my grandmother's handwritten recipes and printable fabric to make my mom and two older sisters.....kitchen towels.
I told my mom my idea. She showed me aprons that my grandmother made when she was younger. (My grandmother died from cancer when I was 4 months old.) She asked me to use these aprons to make NEW aprons so everyone could have "a piece" of each apron. I was very nervous to cut up my grandmother's aprons!! I make a lot of unusual things BUT 75% of them I end up tucking away somewhere because I don't like them. I did not want to waste these aprons on a stupid idea of mine!!!
Here are a few of the aprons that my grandmother made. They are laying on my grandmother's table cloth. (I believe if you click on the pics, you can see them better.)

I used this last apron to create a pattern in which I could use all the aprons to make 3 new aprons. Each apron uses a part of each apron style above. The back of the aprons are the table cloth that you see above.



This is a pic of the handwritten recipes. I scanned them, printed them on the special fabric and appliqued them to the aprons.
I really enjoyed this project. It took me around two weeks. I sewed them all by hand (I don't own a sewing machine).
I was so nervous about how these would turn out.....would I screw it up? would I ruin these vintage aprons? grandmother's memories???
I am pleased with each apron!! I actually did a great job stitching them!! There were few mistakes!!

I am hoping for a sewing machine in the future because this project gave me so many more ideas!!!

Another MAZ creation!!!





1 comment:

  1. holy cow. what a gift! these are delightful and they will certainly be a hit at Christmas. you should be proud! :)
    jcw

    ReplyDelete