Wednesday, October 6, 2010

grab the closest old person!!!

Today was take an old person to the zoo day.....

I grabbed the closest oldie I knew......my mom!

Today was Senior day at the Memphis Zoo. Everyone 55 and over was free.
Today was the last day of my family membership and we won't be renewing...so we went to say farewell until .........................Free Tuesdays....

I rarely go anywhere in Memphis without my camera because of people like this:
The zoo publicized that they would have entertainment and vendors on Senior day. This is the first thing we saw at the entrance. I thought "how cute! an indian or egyptian (as my mother pointed out....Memphis theme) to welcome all the old people to the zoo". BUT I said "is he part of the zoo?" A zoo security said "no, we don't know what he is but he has been standing there for 15 minutes." So I took his picture!! He was standing still like a statue and grinning at the plaque on the wall that listed names of donors to the Memphis Zoo. I love big cities and the characters they attract!!


We weren't able to get there until later in the afternoon so it was almost time for the honored guests' dinner and bed time. Most of the booths were closing down. As far as the entertainment....they had a great live band playing 'Johnnie B Good' under a pavillion. They must have been playing for a while. There wasn't any "standing room". I have been to a "walker and wheelchair" dance before. It can get pretty ugly if you don't maneuver yourself right!! We decided to pass on this entertainment. The only other entertainment I saw this late in the day was by the eating establishment. There were about 20 to 30 seniors sitting on benches and in their transporters. They were gazing up in the sky. I checked to make sure they were breathing and then noticed they were in awe of this:


I waited for it to blow off the roof and scare all the old people...no such luck....we moved on....



Mom begged to see the polar bears. However, the memphis polar bear is just like all the other women around here....pregnant, cranky....and thinks she is entitled to alone time....so she is locked in an area where you can't see her. So, since mom is old and losing it....I got creative!!

Here is your polar bear mom..............
She was impressed! She loved the seal show and thought the trained polar bear was just as nice!!


My mom really isn't old! She has always and will always be young and fun. At least that is what she makes me chant before she lets me in her front door or in her car...
(click on this picture to see her hidden evilness)



We had a fabulous day at the zoo!

maz










1 comment:

  1. That was soooo special to get to have my picture made with the trained polar bear! I have not been to the zoo in soo long ,I didn't know they did that!!? I loved the "Egyptian " at the front of the Zoo.....I had a great time with you and the boys! ....What was that comment about "take an old person" to the Zoo Day???.......... Yo momma =>

    ReplyDelete