Tuesday, October 11, 2011

MAZ vs..the machine...

I got a sewing machine for Christmas (2010), so I started to use it this month (October 2011).

I have been reluctant...because I CAN'T use sewing machines!!

Now that I have trifocals...I can't sew by hand anymore...
well, I CAN but it gives me a headache, takes forever...and I find more mistakes than planned...

YES! planned...

I think items that are sewn, crafted...made...should NOT look perfect. The mistakes add character!
Too much character....makes it look like crap...

The battle with the sewing machine...
It took me almost two days to thread the bobbin and the machine.

not a good start...

...sewing in a straight line should be easy...

HA!....not possible...

After three days of practicing, messing up, rethreading, fits, stomping, headaches, giving up....

I made two aprons within 20 minutes!!

I wanted primitive style aprons that are actually useful!!
...meaning.....a towel hanging from my waist...because that is my need in the kitchen!!

I chose old hand towels that were already "stained" (bleach stains). I was not about to spend time making a "pretty" apron and then mess it up by using it....which would be getting food on it...possible stains....


yep, that is leftover material from the baby quilt (did you expect me to spend money? ha!)


WAY crooked sewing.....adding primitive character....RIGHT!!! ?

not bad stitching on the fall pumpkin (yes! it is a pumpkin!) 
See the wonderful "fix it stitchin" on the end of the apron tie?

this towel was way too thick for my machine...causing "puckering" while sewing the band...

but that will fold over and scrunch when being worn anyway.....because it is PRACTICAL

I would have modeled these for you....but I was afraid that would cause too much jealousy....



I have not washed them yet....if they fall apart....another fit throwing...I am sure...

2 comments:

  1. Um do you know what straight pins are used for?
    Les

    ReplyDelete
  2. to hold things together....not sew straight!!.....right???

    ReplyDelete