Monday, October 10, 2011

skip this post, it is a ramble.....

um....I tried real hard to comply with the doctor....but I don't think he really gets what this "virus" is!!

He said Jack should be able to GO to school...

Well, he is home schooled...so doing his work should be a breeze..according to the doc..

AND I'm not picking on my pediatrician! The Infectious Disease doctor felt that Max should be able to handle a mild but regular schedule when he had this "virus"....

I feel like I am in the Twilight Zone!!!!

I get Jack up in the mornings...as ordered
I make Jack go to bed on time...as ordered
I make him walk laps around the house, sit on the porch, and we even forced him to take a ride in the car to get a sno cone (which resulted in him needing to lie down in the back seat for a while).

Jack takes a shower, or eats a meal.....he is wiped out..pale...involuntarily goes to sleep!

I make Jack sit up in a cushy chair to do school! Last week, my straight A, genius failed every subject we attempted! This virus does something to their concentration and processing skills. It is like talking to a geriatric patient!

The doctor is wrong! There is no way Jack could go to school! He can barely function around the house!

We are heading into the third week of this "virus" with Jack.
It took us one hour to correct his failed test from last week. They weren't errors because he did not know the concepts.....I felt like I was working with a stroke victim. He was struggling so hard to do recall on such simple processes, we almost could not get to the concept being tested!!

Later in the afternoon, I sat beside him to guide him through the next grammar lesson. It took us over two hours (with frequent breaks) to complete a VERY simple 15 minute lesson. On  a normal day, he could have done this on his own!

Jack still has his sense of humor...so not only am I working against his "brain virus" but I have to deal with the sarcasm and the "your mom" jokes....

Today's lesson in grammar:
review complex prepositions...
I read the sentence and he gave the answer:
his answers
across from..."your mom"
in front of...."your mom"
because of...."your mom"

and of course there were the answers that made him giggle uncontrollably....
YEP!   sigh

You would think that my Special Education degree came with an automatic dose of patience for a certain type of learning/teaching.......NOPE!!!






3 comments:

  1. How about a 3rd opinion? You have a ped...and ent...infectious diseases.....who else??? A different ped?

    Les.

    ReplyDelete
  2. according to the medical world, we have the best of the best in all our doctors....everything was tested...there is nothing else to find! It is not the doctor! We are just SUPER SPECIAL and have an unknown virus. I understand that the doctors want the patient to do everything possible. You definitely don't want to tell a mom to keep a child from doing something!! I have worked with those moms before!!! Max has proven that the virus will go away!! I just hope Jack's doesn't last 4 months!! that puts us into next year...YUCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. blah. ENT told me Avery's tubes are doing fine but there is a 60% chance he will get ear infections once these come out. I certainly hope not. I don't want to deal with another surgery this soon nor do I want to have to pay for one.

    ReplyDelete