Monday, January 18, 2010

Classic MAZ creations week 1

I mentioned earlier that I was going to try doing something new each week. I had a few things in mind but they required being outdoors (it has been raining) and using tools that I am not sure we even have (or how to use them). Also my oldest has a stomach virus and that takes some of my "project" time.
SO...for the first week I am keeping it simple. AND it fills a need...

I am making a woodwind swab for my son's clarinet and my niece's saxophone.

What is a woodwind swab? you ask???



This swab is a piece of material with a weighted string sewn diagonally across the square.
The musician drops the weighted end of the string down the clarinet/saxophone and the weighted end falls out the bottom. They pull the string and the material square is pulled through the instrument, cleaning out any debris.

The swabs that came with the cleaning kit are cheap and rip.

I went to our local Joanne's Fabric store. I bought "money" (black with tens, hundreds, twentys, etc) print material for my son. He loves money! I bought "music" print (black and white with instruments and notes) material for my niece. She is an accomplished pianist and is now learning the saxophone. She plays both instruments like it is the same as breathing!! She is so talented.

I have always sewn everything by hand. I looked into buying a sewing machine but it is not in the budget at this time. I finished my son's this evening and plan on starting my niece's tomorrow!! If I had a digital camera, I could show you pics of my wonderful creations.

So to sum up the last few blogs.......I have asked my many readers who/whom are strangers to me......to send me a free digital camera that will easily import to a mac.....and for a simple sewing machine!!

........and I need hints to remember when to use who and when to use whom.....I forget

No comments:

Post a Comment