Thursday, September 15, 2011

CITY SERVE!

I am so excited about this year's City Serve.

Once a year, our church sets aside a weekend to volunteer at various ministries in our city. We have a dinner and speaker on Friday night, we serve on Saturday, and then "wrap it up" with our Sunday sermons.

This years speaker on Friday night is Brian Fikkert. He wrote When Helping Hurts. I really enjoyed reading this "uncomfortable" book. I urge you to read it and then you will understand why it made me uncomfortable! He makes some great points backed with great examples and lessons on how helping, volunteering and some ministries have ultimately hurt people when they were intended to help them!

Another great idea and practice of our church is:

*you don't "HELP" one weekend or holiday...out of the year..you do it year round!

Did you know that if you choose Jesus, you choose to serve?
(those are my words, not Fikkert...I'm done talking about him)

I think people miss that sometimes. Many people think "my spouse is a giver enough for both of us" or " we give financially, instead" or "I am too busy with the kids, work, school..."

The list could go on...

As christians, we are here for one reason....

It is VERY hard to live in this world: financially, medically, family obligations, etc

We weren't made to keep up with the world's demands. We were made to glorify God.

.......I know.....I am doing it again....serious, church chat....sheesh...don't know what to do with the MAZ!!

I have another blog about teaching and parenting. The last post is about teaching your kids to serve!
You might want to check it out!


2 comments:

  1. Um....wanna volunteer? I'll bet I can come up with a million things for the Ziggenhorn School for the gifted to do. If they can read english then they can tutor international kids. I dare ya.

    I'll supply the hand sanitizer.
    Les

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! hand sanitizer! love it!
    You are welcome....anyone is....to post the ministries they are affiliated with...on my blogs and the needs they have for volunteers!!
    I have been involved with Su Casa Ministries for several years. Due to Max's recent illness, the doctor requested that I not work with the kids or have children in my house (tutoring) because I may be bringing home something to Max.....this ban may be lifted by now....I will have to ask!
    You don't have to dare me to volunteer!! I dared myself several years ago and surprisingly fell in love with children's ministry and missions!!

    ReplyDelete