Friday, September 23, 2011

Classic MAZ livin' on the edge...

In the early 90s, I went to California with my parents.

Since I am almost 38 years old (October 13th...I will accept presents!), my memories are running together...so I hope all this was one trip because I remember it that way....

I often name THIS trip when asked "what is your favorite vacation"...you know... in ice-breakers and such..

My parents and I hiked through deep sand, sand dunes and tall grass to look at elephant-walrus-beasts. I am not sure which California town this was. First, I thought we were going to die because the three of us were out of shape, it was the longest hike EVER and there was no civilization or people! Second, the entire time we heard huge lion-dinosaur beasts growling about 2 feet in front of us but we could never seem to reach them.....
It was hilarious!.....but you really just had to experience it with us!




BUT MY FAVORITE was when we walked across the border to Tijuana, Mexico!
Go ahead and follow the link and just skim through how "safe" it is to wander around over there!!

My dad is very cautious! "SAFETY FIRST" man! and he has taught his 3 girls to be the same way!

So you can imagine that when a man walked up to us and offered to take us around in his car to see the "back roads and beautiful sights of Tijuana" mom and I were backing away! NO! We knew better! We were not getting kidnapped......
Dad said "ok!"
 The 3 of us got in this guy's car.
(my dad, me, our driver, mom didn't make it back)

Just kidding! We had the best tour! He showed us beautiful historical churches, where they had bull fights, old homes, gorgeous views..

(one place, he had dad get out of the car and mom and I sat in the car laughing that he was gonna push dad off the mountain and kidnap us...instead of getting out of the car to make sure he did not kill dad...but that is our humor!!)...

The man shared stories and history (whether it was true or not) that we would not have gotten from a taxi or a kidnapper! HA!!
He told us not to eat the food in the tourist area (pictured above) AND he told us the taxi drivers were dangerous!

It was the best day ever!....after the guy left, I bought a handwoven blanket that said "mexico" so I could remember our "dangerous" adventure!

When we got back to Memphis, I washed the blanket and found the tag..."made in China"....

what the crap!






3 comments:

  1. Good memory, it turned out he lived on the U.S. side and drove people around his home town making money to pay for his son's college. I can't remember what he said or did that made me feel at ease with his sales pitch. Still can't believe we went with him. Dad p.s. it was two different trips; San Francisco and San Diego.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh good! I love that we were helping him send his son to college! So, this trip wasn't the La Jolla, Santa Monica, etc...??
    I thought I was in college when I went to San Fran....oh well, it does NOT matter....I loved both trips!! The only part of California that I did NOT like was LA!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine smelled like gasoline.
    Les

    ReplyDelete